- Barbara Baird and Kyoko Nozaki among the 2021 IUPAC Distinguished Women in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering awardees.
- VVPs Bonnie Bassler and Patrick Cramer and Vallee Scholar Feng Zhang are among this winter's prize winners.
- For their work on CRISPR-Cas9, VVP Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer Doudna win this year's Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- Congratulations to Weizhe Hong (UCLA), Dan Landau (Weill Cornell Medicine), Darcie Moore (Wisconsin-Madison), Pontus Skoglund (Crick Institute),
- Congratulations to VVP Sir Alan Fersht!
While many research laboratories around the country were shut down last spring, work related to the SARS-CoV-2 virus has continued apace. Vallee Scholar Andrew Kruse, PhD, Professor of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology at Harvard Medical School, who is interested in the mechanistic basis for protein-to-protein interactions, recently spoke about his work using a library of synthetic, yeast-based antibodies he has developed.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, Vallee Scholars Chris Mason, PhD, Associate Professor at Weill Cornell Medicine, and Feng Zhang, PhD, James and Patricia Poitras Professor at MIT and Core Member of the Broad Institute, have been working separately and in collaboration on new COVID-19 tests.