- Edmond H Fischer, PhD, known to us all as Eddy, died August 27, 2021 at the age of 101.
- This year's Vallee Scholars are Jonathan Abraham, Madeline Lancaster, Aashish Manglik, Ricardo Mallarino, Lisa Olshansky, and Julian Stingele.
- Recognizing that great scientists need encouragement at all stages of their development, we are delighted to be partnering with the Williams-Franklin
- VVP Allen Hill, FRS, Emeritus Professor of Bioinorganic Chemistry, Oxford University, died on August 2, 2021.
- Judith Frydman (Stanford), Michael Hall (Biozentrum, Basel) and Erin Schuman (MPI Brain Research, Frankfurt) named as new VVPs.
Vallee Scholar Melissa Harrison, PhD, talks about the research in her lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr Harrison's lab uses the fruit fly - drosophila melanogaster - to look closely at the developmental transitions from DNA to adult cells. Her lab shut down for three months in early 2020 because of the pandemic, but - with some modifications - has been able to function pretty much at capacity since then.
While many research laboratories around the country were shut down last spring, work related to the SARS-CoV-2 virus has continued apace. Vallee Scholar Andrew Kruse, PhD, Professor of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology at Harvard Medical School, who is interested in the mechanistic basis for protein-to-protein interactions, recently spoke about his work using a library of synthetic, yeast-based antibodies he has developed.