- For their work on CRISPR-Cas9, VVP Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer Doudna win this year's Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- Congratulations to Weizhe Hong (UCLA), Dan Landau (Weill Cornell Medicine), Darcie Moore (Wisconsin-Madison), Pontus Skoglund (Crick Institute),
- Congratulations to VVP Sir Alan Fersht!
- Malcolm L H Green, Emeritus Research Professor of inorganic chemistry at the University of Oxford, has died.
- Earl Davie, MD, PhD, professor emeritus of the University of Washington and Vallee Visiting Professor, has died at the age of 93.
While many research laboratories around the country were shut down last spring, work related to the SARS-CoV-2 virus has continued apace. Vallee Scholar Andrew Kruse, PhD, Professor of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology at Harvard Medical School, who is interested in the mechanistic basis for protein-to-protein interactions, recently spoke about his work using a library of synthetic, yeast-based antibodies he has developed.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, Vallee Scholars Chris Mason, PhD, Associate Professor at Weill Cornell Medicine, and Feng Zhang, PhD, James and Patricia Poitras Professor at MIT and Core Member of the Broad Institute, have been working separately and in collaboration on new COVID-19 tests.